Wednesday, January 23, 2013

60's Rock


I haven’t heard much American music in Costa Rica – well, none actually.  But tonight that changed.  A neighbor, Miguel, father of my house mate, invited me to join him and old friends in an evening of 60’s rock – in the back yard.  One of the friends is the top DJ in Costa Rica who had brought sound equipment and recordings.  His friends also included the lead guitarist from the Thunder Boys, the premier rock band here in the 60’s, who sang along with some of the songs his band performed.

We heard:  Put your head on my shoulder– Come go with me – Let’s do the twist – Stand by me – You make me want to shout – 16 candles – Duke of Earl – Are you lonesome tonight– That loving feeling – Johnny B. Goode-  Sherry - You don’t own me … about 5 hours of music from my teen years. 

I wasn’t there long, but am still enjoying it from the patio at my house. The last few songs:  Hit the road Jack, Don’t be cruel, My Little Runaway.  Now playing is an instrumental from “It’s cherry pink and apple blossom white” which I’m pretty sure is 40’s or early 50’s, now “California Dreaming.”  It makes me feel nostalgic and homesick for the backyard bbq with family and friends.  

Looking forward to August!

Friday evening, January 18



No comments:

Post a Comment